Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History (OCMCH)
Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History
The aim of the Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History (OCMCH) is to embody the historic links between Oxford Brookes University and Westminster Institute of Education with the Methodist Church, through a programme of research activities and support for the historic collections of the Institute.
The Rev Dr Lord Griffiths of Burry Port
- Professor Jonathan Clark, Hall Distinguished Professor, University of Kansas
- Rev Professor Mark Chapman, Vice-Principal, Ripon College, Cuddesdon
- Dr Martin Groves, Department of History, Philosophy and Religion
- Emerita Professor Elizabeth Jay, Department of English and Modern Languages
- Dr Peter Nockles, University of Manchester Assistant Librarian (Methodist Collections)
- Dr Jeremy Gregory, Senior Lecturer in the History of Christianity, University of Manchester
- Rev Dr Martyn Atkins General Secretary of The Methodist Church, Fornerly Principal of Cliff College, President of the Methodist Conference 2007-8
- Rev Dr Tim Macquiban, Minister, Wesley Methodist and Sturton Street Methodist Churches, Cambridge and Vice President of the Charles Wesley Society.
Current Visiting Research Fellows
- Dr Clare Haynes, author of Pictures and Popery, Art and Religion in England, 1660–1760 (Ashgate 2006) and visiting fellow at Edinburgh University
- Dr Charles Wallace, Associate Professor of Religion at Willamette University, editor of the works of Susanna Wesley
- Dr Ric Berman, working on the connections between eighteenth century Methodism and freemasonry
Past Visiting Research Fellows
- Ms Sarah Middleton, Methodist Church
- Mr Ryan Danker, Greensboro College, North Carolina
- Dr Stephen Brogan, Birkbeck, University of London
- Professor Ted Campbell, Perkins School of Theology, Texas
- Dr Joanna Cruickshank, Lecturer in History, Deakin University, Australia
- Dr Keith Francis, Executive Secretary for the American Society for Church History
- Dr Derya Gurses, Lecturer in the Department of History at Mersin University, Turkey
- Dr Geordan Hammond, Manchester Wesley Research Centre
- Dr John Morgan Guy, University of Wales, Lampeter
- Mary Riso, Doctoral Research Student
- Reverend Dr Art Torpy, Baylor University, Texas
- Reverend Dr Philip Tovey, Rippon College Cuddesdon
The Centre has an international reputation for Wesley and Methodist studies. Specialist collections held by the Centre include, the Wesley Historical Society library, the archives of Westminster College, AVEC consultancy, Oxford Institute of Methodist Studies and the papers of Donald English and Bill Gowland as well as the archive of the Bletchley Park/Lady Spencer Churchill College of Education.
The unit also holds a number of art collections including the Methodist Church Collection of Modern Christian Art, and the collection of the pre-Raphaelite associate James Smetham.
The Centre offers outstanding resources for scholars and anyone with an interest in Methodism or associated areas. The collections are held separately from the main library and have their own dedicated research area with online access. Short courses for individual scholars or groups are available.
The Research room has online access and is open to the public. It is situated in Room GG/01 at Westminster Institute of Education. Opening times are generally 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, and also 9.00am to 1pm on the first Saturday of the month by special arrangement.
Please make a prior appointment by calling Peter Forsaith on 01865 488319, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodation on campus may be arranged for visiting researchers.
The Centre is the home of a number of major research projects, including:
- The Oxford Handbook on the British Sermon 1689-1901 - A multi-authored collection which will promote the historical, literary and theological study of the sermon in British society.
- The Ashgate Research Companion to World Methodism - A multi-authored collection which will provide a new overview of World Methodism.
The OCMCH is interested in discussing proposals for study on the Oxford Brookes University PhD/MPhil programme and the Oxford Brookes University MA by research.
Wesley and Methodist Studies
The journal, Wesley and Methodist Studies is a joint project of the Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History and the Manchester Wesley Research Centre. It is jointly edited by Professor William Gibson and Dr Geordan Hammond with Dr Peter Forsaith as Book Reviews Editor.